Register

Board index » Stillers.com Forum Policy/Suggestions/Announcement » maybe its time to blow off the opening home page

Please read before posting to our forums
Grizzled Veteran

maybe its time to blow off the opening home page

Postby IronCity__Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:11 pm

I love the Stillers.com home page - having the PG and Trib stories every day is my one stop shopping. But is this what is causing all the problems?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: maybe its time to blow off the opening home page

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Nobody here knows how to run a site.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steel Holiday » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 pm

I get mixed info about what running a website is. Some of these internet ads make it sound like there is a huge profit to be had by creating web traffic or getting people to read your blog. Yet, I can't recall being on a Steelers fan site where the site doesn't clarify it isn't banking big money, and in fact it is creating very little income. :?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby IronCity__Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:33 pm

I just don't want to see it fizzle out because of people not wanting to get past the front page. I imagine that is why the number of people have crunched down so low. Of course, bigoted rants from some posters doesn't help the return of members either.

I don't think it is fair to simply say the mods don't know how to run a site - if the front page worked over and over on a daily basis and suddenly blinks out, I am not sure I point to human error for that.

Best of luck in getting it worked out stillers team

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 am

No, numbers are down due to shitty web site management. Still Mill and trenches are great analysts, suck ass web site managers

Due to this perennial grab ass bag approach to the web site they may lose it. sucks

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Just to be an ass, it's because they run it on IIS. Fuck, why is it so hard to put a nice wordpress site up, and just enjoy it working?

Plenty of nice plugins for it....from polls to user mngmnt to cross over to phpBB or bulletin.

Just saying ...

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:11 pm

heh. Double posted. Sorry. seriously please consider a decent platform for a simple web site. I love stillers.com.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 pm

BoltX wrote:heh. Double posted. Sorry. seriously please consider a decent platform for a simple web site. I love stillers.com.

Have you been experiencing problems Since September? If so, let me know what and when. No offense, BoltX, but Wordpress is a POS if every I saw one floating in a toilet. If you are a blogger then it's great but not for a custom site that is intending to adjust and grow.

Any issues here are absolutely NOT the technology. People love to hate on Microsoft technology like IIS but it is never the problem. When IIS has problems it's either the hosting platform or a shite-laden application or both. For this site, it has been the ability to afford dedicated server resources and in addition I was out of the picture dealing with life in prior years. I take the blame for neglect and subsequent issues with this site on my shoulders. Mill is not a "web master" and can't help the cause in that regard. I on the other hand am technical so if issues arise, I want to know so I can resolve them. I am on the site multiple times a day everyday now and haven't seen any issues since 1) moving web hosts and 2) rewriting the site from scratch back (both happened this past September).

So... seriously guys... I'm here and paying as much attention as possible but can't catch and know about every glitch, blip and hiccup. If issues arise, please post so I know and can investigate. I'm monitoring reports and haven't seen any major issue on the site, BoltX, so if something isn't being picked up by my reports please let me know. (I saw your "just to be an ass" comment so you might just be taking jabs which is fine but I wanted to respond seriously because we did experience issues in the past as previously stated).

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Hey trenches - I was taking a stab at you guys, but nothing malicious. I know what it takes to run anything from wp, to Ektron ecms. Being Ste app dev manager for state medicaid/medicare and his systems is enough of a resume. On the other hand - I have seen app error perhaps twice since the move, but also have used bookmarked URL for the forums so I don't stop much at the homepage.

Sorry for the typos - damn Asus transformer onscreen keyb is way too tiny for my fingers.

From now on - it would be prudent to pm you when HP is down. I am close to certain that you get email notifications for PMS. :-)

Actually - you just reminded me that the site was moved recently - and as smooth as it was - you should get kudos! And gratitude of us, regulars.

Boltx

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Oh, and you know, you could put PayPal donate button here. - I'd probably give a few bucks. I'm sure we could get up to 200 bucks range in a year -- color cover nice hosting package cost at the least.

B.

That was NOT supposed to be color, but - could...

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 am

BoltX wrote:Hey trenches - I was taking a stab at you guys, but nothing malicious. I know what it takes to run anything from wp, to Ektron ecms. Being Ste app dev manager for state medicaid/medicare and his systems is enough of a resume. On the other hand - I have seen app error perhaps twice since the move, but also have used bookmarked URL for the forums so I don't stop much at the homepage.

Sorry for the typos - damn Asus transformer onscreen keyb is way too tiny for my fingers.

From now on - it would be prudent to pm you when HP is down. I am close to certain that you get email notifications for PMS. :-)

Actually - you just reminded me that the site was moved recently - and as smooth as it was - you should get kudos! And gratitude of us, regulars.

Boltx

Boltx, no offense taken. The shot was understood and warranted. I just wanted to point out that I am back in the fold which is a big difference from recent times. Any feedback is always appreciated -- good or bad. Also, any suggestions are welcomed -- even if we choose to pretend it was never offered. :D

Return to Stillers.com Forum Policy/Suggestions/Announcement