Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » distraction or motivation? boldin trade rumor...

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

distraction or motivation? boldin trade rumor...

Postby steelmoney » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Cardinals might trade Boldin this offseason
Anquan Boldin - WR - ARZ - Jan. 25 - 11:43 a.m. ET
ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes that the Cardinals will listen to trade offers for Anquan Boldin this offseason.
Boldin would be the hottest name on the trade market and could probably bring back a first-round pick. Mortensen points out that Arizona is stocked up on receivers and can afford to trade Boldin if a "reasonable offer" comes along. The Cards could go with Steve Breaston opposite Larry Fitzgerald next season, with Early Doucet and Jerheme Urban battling for third receiver duty.

Stillers.com Team

Re: distraction or motivation? boldin trade rumor...

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:43 pm

talking about the off season before this season is over is always a distraction....
just ask Neil O'Donnell

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 pm

More offseason talk for the Cardinals:

Mike Tulumello, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals DE Antonio D. Smith, who is an impending free agent, said he would like to re-sign with the team this offeseason. The Cardinals may not be able to sign him because he may be too expensive to sign.

These kind of ontract concerns spell distraction to me.

(BTW - I moved this thread back to Stillers Talk forum because it seemed related to the Super Bowl Game. No offense to my fellow moderator.)

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Edge seems to agree with me.

Kent Somers, of The Arizona Republic, reports Arizona Cardinals RB Edgerrin James has not necessarily ruled out a return to the team next season. "I'm not really worried about the future," James said. "I'm just living day-by-day. I think anybody who is thinking about next week, or the weeks ahead, they're doing this team a disservice." If they want to retain him, the Cardinals have the salary cap space available to accommodate the $5 million roster bonus James is due.

Practice Squad

Postby Coach Epps » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm never real sure what stance to take in determining whether this kind of stuff is distracting to a team or not.

On one side, yeah, it's probably not good to be thinking about anything but the task at hand.

But on the other hand, wouldn't a contract scenario like this be more motivation for that player? Why would he even consider playing anything but 100% when he stands to make a boatload of money, from either his current team or the next?

From the standpoint of the other players on that team, they've all been through contract negotiations and understand the business aspect of it. I can't see too many guys letting it get to them when a teammate is in a contract dispute.

But maybe I'm wrong and the other guys get a little bitter when a player puts his contract situation above everyone else

I don't know. I'm inclined to think every situation is different. This Cards team seems to have a good bit of chemistry. I know, I know, there's the Boldin argument that happened on the sidelines during the NFCC game. But you spend nearly every day around the same 70+ people for 18 straight weeks some time in a competitive environment. Disagreements are bound to happen.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm

I think the bigger distraction isn't really the one to the team, but to that player.

He's thinking he needs to have a big game. Do something that will be remembered, etc.

He's thinking this might be his last game with some of his friends.

He's thinking he needs that big pay day to secure his future and his families future.

That's a lot of additional preassure.

Practice Squad

Postby Coach Epps » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:I think the bigger distraction isn't really the one to the team, but to that player.

He's thinking he needs to have a big game. Do something that will be remembered, etc.

He's thinking this might be his last game with some of his friends.

He's thinking he needs that big pay day to secure his future and his families future.

That's a lot of additional preassure.

All fair points and I don't necessarily disagree with any of them.

I guess we (read: "I") have a tendency to look at these athletes as the supermen they're portrayed to be and tend to think emotional distress, such as in the cases you mentioned, don't affect them like they do us "regular" people.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby SteelPower » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 am

As long as the Cards are already worrying about next year that is alright by me. I guess it shows that they were happy just to get to the big game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:25 am

Boldin has been a distraction dating back to last year. He hasn't talked to Whiz or the front office since the Anti-Boldin Larry Fitzgerald signed his contract extension. Haley the bigger distraction as Scheffter who is heads and shoulders more tolerable than Mort and the rest of them says that Pioli who is married to Parcells daughter wants to hire a coach who has worked under Parcells...enter Todd Haley. These are minor distractions though... give McLovin the guy who got arrested for getting blow job from a hooker night before Super Bowl...now that's a distraction! Eugene Robinson??? Anyway the guy just got awarded some outstanding citizen award then went out and got his nob polished by some crack ho! What a dumb ass!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby steelmoney » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:38 am

McLovin wrote:Eugene Robinson??? Anyway the guy just got awarded some outstanding citizen award then went out and got his nob polished by some crack ho! What a dumb ass!

man's gotta stay loose before the big game!

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Mike Sando, of ESPN.com, reports Arizona Cardinals general manager Rod Graves said WR Anquan Boldin is a core player on the team and hopes to improve relations between Boldin and the organization through a meeting after the season.

You don't schedule meetings when everything is good. Sounds like a distraction to me.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Even dragging other players into it now.

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald said he is willing to restructure his contract so that the team can redo WR Anquan Boldin's deal and keep him in Arizona long-term. Boldin wants his deal redone and said during the season that he never would re-sign with Arizona again, but many around the league believe that as long as the Cardinals make a sufficient offer, then Boldin will agree to stay.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Kent Somers, of The Arizona Republic, reports even though Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald has reportedly offered to restructure his deal to help keep WR Anquan Boldin, cap space is not the problem in retaining Boldin. The Cardinals are about $41 million under the 2009 salary cap, even though team officials said that number does not include escalator clauses, option bonuses and tenders to free agents, most of which begin to count against the cap in March. The main obstacle in a new deal with Boldin is money, especially the guaranteed portions. The sides haven't negotiated for months, and Boldin has said he won't re-sign with the team.

Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin will likely draw interest from the Baltimore Ravens this offseason.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 pm

A lot of Cardinals seem to be thinking about what happens after the game.

Eric Williams, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals DE Darnell Dockett said he hopes ownership will be able to sign the team's free agents this offseason to keep the team intact but he would not be surprised if the ownership was not able to bring everyone back next season.

Kent Somers, of The Arizona Republic, reports Arizona Cardinals LB Karlos Dansby said he would like to sign a long-term contract with a team but would not be upset if the Cardinals placed the franchise tag on him this offseason.

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner said there is chance he may decide to retire after this season especially if he wins Super Bowl XLIII. "You know, I don't know what's going to be the ultimate decision or how it's going to be determined," Warner said. "I know that you look at the scenarios and what could play out, and in the back of your mind you say, 'Man, this could be a perfect scenario to leave the game.' But what I've continued to realize about my career and my life is that nothing takes on a perfect scenario."

Return to Stillers Talk