- Houston Texans
OLB Jadeveon Clowney - South Carolina
No surprise to start. Roger Goodell gets booed. No trade, the Texans were reportedly asking for the moon and the stars. The best player goes first. Clowney and JJ Watt should be incredible together as long as Romeo Crennel doesn't screw them up. I don't expect things to hold to form much longer. This draft is deep. I expect many curveballs. Many trades thanks to the rookie salary cap with teams targeting their favorites. This should be an interesting bourbon filled evening. Just as an aside I have finally given up on ESPN coverage of the draft for the NFL Network. God help me I like Mel Kiper and can still stomach Chris Berman (pun intended), but one minute was enough of Ray Lewis. Just awful.
- Needs: QB, OLB, RT/G, NT, CB, ILB
- My Prediction: OLB/DE Jadeveon Clowney - South Carolina
- St. Louis Rams (from Washington)
OT Greg Robinson - Auburn
The last pick from the RGIII bounty. I'm torn on Robinson versus Matthews. Raw physicality and power versus polish and performance. Robinson likely to start inside in 2014 if Jake Long returns from ACL surgery to begin the season. Getting time to develop before being thrust into the role of franchise left tackle should help him.
- Needs: OT, FS, CB, G/C, WR, QB
- My Prediction: OT Greg Robinson - Auburn
- Jacksonville Jaguars
QB Blake Bortles - Central Florida
The shit has hit the fan. This seems like a horrible spot for Bortles. Bad team with no offensive weapons. Can they really afford to sit the third pick for a year? If not Bortles could be ruined ala David Carr before he has a chance.
- Needs: QB, C, WR, OLB, RT/G, RB
- My Prediction: OLB Khalil Mack - Buffalo
- Buffalo Bills (from Cleveland)
WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson
Shit continues to fly. Right slot, wrong team for my prediction. Bills were reportedly desperate to move up for Watkins. Giving up the 9th pick and a first and fourth rounder next season is a steep price.
- Needs: FS, DE, OT, TE, WR, OLB
- My Prediction: OT Taylor Lewan - Michigan at 9
- Oakland Raiders
OLB Khalil Mack - Buffalo
Best player available. Raiders do the smart thing. Hell freezes over.
- Needs: QB, DT, M/OLB, TE, G/RT, WR
- My Prediction: WR Mike Evans - Texas A & M
- Atlanta Falcons
OT Jake Matthews - Texas A&M
Might have hoped Mack would fall one more spot, but Matthews is a fine selection. Matt Ryan has to approve.
- Needs: OLB/DE, TE, OT, FS, RB, WR
- My Prediction: OT Jake Matthews - Texas A&M
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
WR Mike Evans - Texas A & M
Bortles pick pushes Evans down, Lovie pounces. Evans teamed with Vincent Jackson is a match up nightmare. Josh McCown should be throwing a lot of jump balls much like last season to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery in Chicago.
- Needs: OG, WR, DT, M/SLB, QB, DE
- My Prediction: QB Johnny Manziel - Texas A & M
- Cleveland Browns (from Minnesota)
CB Justin Gilbert - Oklahoma St
Not sure why they needed to move back up a pick, but it only cost them a fifth rounder. Prototypical modern day corner physically. Will be tested opposite Joe Haden. Needs to improve concentration, technique to survive. A boom or bust prospect.
- Needs: QB, WR, CB, ILB, FS, G/RT
- My Prediction: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson at 4
- Minnesota Vikings (from Buffalo through Cleveland)
OLB/DE Anthony Barr - UCLA
Dynamic edge rusher for Mike Zimmer. No real argument with this pick. Huge upside. At worst a sub-package terror as a pass rusher. First top 10 pick from UCLA since Jonathon Ogden.
- Needs: QB, S, OG, M/OLB, CB, DT
- My Prediction: DT Aaron Donald - Pittsburgh at 8
- Detroit Lions
TE Eric Ebron - North Carolina
Megatron, Joseph Fauria and Ebron in the red zone is ridiculous. Throw in Golden Tate and Brandon Pettigrew and it's time to draft Matthew Stafford for your fantasy team.
- Needs: CB, WR, OLB, FS, C, DE
- My Prediction: WR Odell Beckham Jr, LSU
- Tennessee Titans
OT Taylor Lewan - Michigan
True best player available scenario. Signed Oher to play on the right side, have Michael Roos on the left side. The Steelers should call to see if the 32 year old Roos is available for a late rounder.
- Needs: RB, QB, ILB, OLB, NT/DE, CB
- My Prediction: OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
- New York Giants
WR Odell Beckham Jr - LSU
Joins former teammate Ruben Randle, Victor Cruz, Jerrel Jernigan and resigned Mario Manningham to provide Eli with a deep collection of weapons. Like the player, concerned about the pick given other needs. How long will offensive line lacking in talent be able to keep Manning upright to get the ball downfield?
- Needs: OT, TE, G/C, OLB, DT, DE
- My Prediction: T/G Zack Martin - Notre Dame
- St. Louis Rams
DT Aaron Donald - Pitt
Brilliant pick by Fisher. Too good to pass up. Pass rush with Chris Long, Robert Quinn and Donald is going to be insane. The Vikings and Giants in particular because of their defensive schemes are going to rue the day they passed on Donald.
- My Prediction: CB Justin Gilbert - Oklahoma St
- Chicago Bears
CB Kyle Fuller - Virginia Tech
Fine pick. Fills a need. Corner is a need for everyone to be honest. Could have easily been the Steelers pick. Still, can't be happy Donald went only a pick earlier.
- Needs: DT, S, CB, OLB, RB, WR
- My Prediction: S HaHa Clinton-Dix - Alabama
- Pittsburgh Steelers
I/OLB Ryan Shazier - Ohio St
Not a complete shocker. Speed and playmaking ability on defense is a clear need. A LB that ran a 4.38 40 is hard to ignore. Versatility a plus. Sideline-to-sideline run stopper, can cover TEs and in certain situations rush off the edge. Only real question is whether a slightly undersized player can hold up inside in this scheme.
- Needs: CB, NT/DE, WR, O/ILB, TE, OT
- My Prediction: CB Darqueze Dennard - Michigan St
- Dallas Cowboys
T/G Zach Martin - Notre Dame
I'm torn. Martin was the best player available. Interior offensive line could use help. Yet the defense is so damn bad. Maybe no defensive lineman was worth this pick, but Calvin Pryor or HaHa Clinton Dix would have really helped.
- Needs: DE, S, DT, G, OLB, RB
- My Prediction: S Calvin Pryor, Louisville
- Baltimore Ravens
ILB CJ Mosely - Alabama
Solid football player. Nothing spectacular. Not especially surprising. The definition of an Ozzie Newsome pick.
- Needs: RT, FS, WR, DE, CB, O/ILB
- My Prediction: TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina
- New York Jets
S Calvin Pryor - Louisville
J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets. Rex loves defense. Nothing wrong with this pick except for franchise's complete lack of offensive skill position talent.
- Needs: CB, WR, TE, OG, FS, I/OLB
- My Prediction: WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon St
- Miami Dolphins
OT JaWaun James - Tennessee
Four year starter in college. Immediate starter at right tackle or guard. Had to take an offensive lineman. He was their favorite. That is fine to be honest. Only question. Why couldn't they deal down with the Saints? An extra third rounder wouldn't have hurt.
- Needs: RT, OG, MLB, S, RB, TE
- My Prediction: OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
- New Orleans Saints (from Arizona)
WR Brandin Cooks - Oregon
Traded a third rounder to move up 7 spots, then waited around several minutes before making the pick in the final seconds. Bastards, I just finished my fourth Maker's Mark. Speed it up. When you trade up you know who you are going to select. Nice pick though..... Explosive playmaker. Basically a Darren Sproles replacement in a slightly different form.
- Needs: OLB, G/C, CB, ILB, WR, RB
- My Prediction: OLB Dee Ford, Auburn at 27
- Green Bay Packers
S HaHa Clinton-Dix - Alabama
No brainer. Best player available. Most pressing need.
- Needs: S, C, ILB, TE, WR, NT/DE
- My Prediction: ILB CJ Mosely - Alabama
- Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia)
QB Johnny Manziel - Texas A & M
I really like Manziel. I think he is clearly the best QB in this draft and that his playmaking ability will definitely translate to the next level. Alas as a lifelong Steelers fan (coming up on 53 years) I hate the Browns as one might imagine. Now I have to hope I was wrong about Manziel. Here's hoping for the next Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden, both also taken with the 22nd pick.
- My Prediction: QB Derek Carr, Fresno St at 26
- Kansas City Chiefs
OLB Dee Ford - Auburn
Not sure what to say. Seems like a slight reach at a position of little need with Tamba Hali and Justin Houston on the depth chart. Guess edge rushers are always in demand.
- Needs: WR, OT, FS, OG, ILB, CB
- My Prediction: WR Marqise Lee, USC
- Cincinnati Bengals
CB Darqueze Dennard - Michigan St
Makes perfect sense.
- Needs: CB, DE, OT/G, DT, C, QB
- My Prediction: CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
- San Diego Chargers
CB Jason Verrett - TCU
Thin, short build scares me. I would have gambled on Roby. That is nit-picking. Perfectly fine selection. Gotta play Peyton twice, gotta have corners.
- Needs: CB, NT/DE, WR, OG, OLB, TE
- My Prediction: CB Bradley Robey - Ohio St
- Philadelphia Eagles (from Indianapolis through Cleveland)
OLB/DE Markus Smith - Louisville
Edge rusher a need. I personally liked Ealy, Lawrence and Attaochu much better as pure pass rushers. I'd defer to the professionals, but find they are often wrong.
- Needs: WR, OLB, SS, NT, ILB, CB
- My Prediction: I/OLB Ryan Shazier - Ohio St at 22
- Arizona Cardinals (from New Orleans)
S Deion Buchanon - Washington St
Immediate starter. Big defender that has improved his ball skills. Just missed the playoffs so going for immediate help makes sense. Trade down from 20 helps make slight reach more palatable.
- Needs: OLB, RT/G, ILB, QB, TE, SS
- My Prediction: QB Blake Bortles at 20
- Carolina Panthers
WR Kelvin Benjamin - Florida St
Huge gamble on inexperienced, overaged prospect with upside. Reportedly a favorite of the Steelers. I am honestly relieved he will not be wearing black and gold. Big receivers with only a single season of college productivity do not have a good track record. To me seems like a bust waiting to happen.
- Needs: OT, WR, CB, OG, S, OLB
- My Prediction: WR Cody Latimer - Indiana
- New England Patriots
DT Dominique Easley - Florida
Has suffered a pair of ACL tears, the last ruining his final college season. Definitely a gifted athlete with major upside. Should be interesting to track how this works out. Talent is not a question.
- Needs: TE, DT, C/G, WR, RB, DE
- My Prediction: DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame
- San Francisco 49ers
S Jimmie Ward - Northern Illinois
Took Eric Reid in the first round last season, have Antoine Bethea to start next to him. Totally confused by this pick. They must have really loved the undersized Ward.
- Needs: CB, WR, OLB, C, DE, ILB
- My Prediction: CB Jason Verrett, TCU
- Denver Broncos
CB Bradley Robey - Ohio St
Value meets need. Ninth defensive back taken.
- Needs: CB, MLB, G/RT, FS, OLB, RB
- My Prediction: OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
- Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle)
QB Teddy Bridgewater - Louisville
Nice to see Bridgewater get out of the green room on the first day. Should be interesting to see whether Norv Turner can develop him.
- My Prediction: S Jimmie Ward - Northern Illinois at 40